This past week marks a mile marker. I bought a new car. This purchase is symbolic of so many things. First I have had my trusty Toyota Corolla for longer than I imagined. Her name was Roxy Foxy and up until a couple days ago, I thought I had her for 10 years. But as I cleaned out her glovebox in preparation for sale I found an insurance card effective 10-18-05. So apparently I have had her over 11 years. She has lived with me through 3 states and has safely transported both of my babies their entire lives. Roxy foxy had no hub caps. Her front windshield was broken. The interior light worked only when she wanted to, which was never so the car was always dark. The defrost switch was VERY sensitive and had to be gently coaxed to turn on during cold winter months. The interior clock burned out long ago so I had a hand held clock in the passenger seat to refer time while driving. Even the key sometimes would't turn to unlock the door. If the key didn't work I had a hand held unlock button but alas that device was temperamental as well. You had to hit the lock button first before the unlock button would hopefully (fingers crossed) the car would unlock. I always worried that both would malfunction at the same time and I would be locked out of my own car, but thankfully that scenario never happened. She had rust spots on the front hood and the gas cap didn't have a good seal which means sometimes the check engine light to come on. Despite her short comings, she has been trustworthy, reliable, cost efficient and gone the distance with our family (189,000 miles put on all by me). I would have kept driving her until she ran into the ground but alas, her petite size was a growing struggle. The boys are getting bigger and getting in and out of the car became a big problem. Case and Cole would get wedged in between the front and back seats. Sometimes they would literally get stuck and holler "help I'm stuck!" and I would have to shove their little backs to push them out.
I have been researching, test driving and price shopping for months and months. Saturday I pulled the trigger and bought a 2017 Hyundai Santa Fe Ultimate Limited. Her name is Holy Guacamole. This purchase moves me into the world of mid sized sun's. I feel like I just took another step towards adulthood. She has a 3rd row seat and I am so happy with the expansive size and ability to have my family all ride together when they visit. Compared to my bare bones Corolla, she is the fanciest thing alive. Heated seats, fancy mirrors, cameras, bells and whistles everywhere. The boys love that they were finally allowed to move up into the world of high backed booster seats and their favorite part of the SUV is the panoramic sunroof, its huge! I'm excited to see what driving in Colorado snow and ice feels like in a heavy vehicle with all wheel drive instead of my light and less than sturdy Corolla. I also love the size. Everyone fits! We purchased the extended warranty for bumper to bumper coverage for 100,000 miles 10 year warranty so I hope Holy Guacamole will be around and provide for our family for the next 10 years! I feel so blessed.
NICE! We upgraded last year as well, and I still feel fancy when my camera pops up! :)
ReplyDelete