Saturday, June 29, 2013

Skin Graft

Tuesday I had a skin graft performed on my gums.  The dentist removed skin from the roof of my mouth and connected it to my lower gums.  I’m not gonna lie, recovery is taking a lot longer than I expected.  I anticipated “bouncing” back much quicker.  Unfortunately there has been no bouncing.  My face is swollen and I look like Rumor Willis with my big jaw.  I can’t talk very well and sound like I am either drunk or I have had a stroke.  Plus I am hungry.  Day 5, I am finally able to get some food in my stomach without fear of anything touching my wounds but I decided that I could never make it on the show Survivor because I have been starving!  All I can think about is food.  Plus, I am unable to brush half of my mouth and the unclean feeling grosses me out all day long.  Yuck!  The pain meds make me sick and finally some of the stitches hang down in my mouth. They feel like spider legs in the back of my throat and sometimes make me gag.  What fun!  I looked at the site today and promptly called my doctor because I was sure something was wrong.  Black nastyness is not what I expected.  He sternly told me to never look at the wound again and the blackness is normal.  We are leaving for Oklahoma and Canada on Tuesday.  I hope the healing speeds up because I still feel basically the same as I did after the surgery.  Blooey on problems with your teeth.     

1 comment: