Thursday, September 12, 2013

First Day of Pre-K

The first week of September marked the start of school.  Compared to last year his class is huge. 13 last year. 19 this year. Case likes to hang back and observe before jumping into things so I wasn't surprised when he seemed quiet and reserved his first morning. Case found his backpack hook and cubbie like a professional.  Then he found a seat for the morning craft.  I sat with Case in the classroom for a few minutes while he worked on his table craft. After a few minutes, I asked if he was okay enough for me to leave. My “aware of his emotions” child said, 'I'm still a little nervous.' I was proud, proud, proud that he could appropriately verbalize how he was feeling. And I was even more proud when I picked him up and he said, 'guess what mom, after a while my nerves went away.'

 photo IMG_1634_zps2c1294ff.jpg

 photo IMG_1636_zps0e5be733.jpg

 photo IMG_1640_zpsd2e92cee.jpg

 photo IMG_1642_zpsc25a28ae.jpg
 
On the ride home I asked Case about his day. Me: What did you learn/talk about? Case: He sang me a song about bear hunting. (Of course a hunting song was a highlight) Me: Did you talk about any letters?  Case: I don't know. Me: Did you talk about any numbers? Case: I don't know. Me: What was your favorite part of the day? Case: When you came and picked me up. (Oh how my heart melts) Me: What was your second favorite part? Case: Recess. (Spoken like a true boy) Me: What made recess fun?  Case: He then began to tell me how the girls on the playground said he couldn't play with them because it was a ‘girls only club’. He told the girls he was the leader and he could play if he wanted to. He was the leader because leaders wear black and orange shoes and he was the only one in the group with black and orange shoes. Some of the girls took their ‘girls only club’ to another part of the playground. But apparently Case won over part of the group because some of them stayed with him and played ice cream station.  He was willing go back for day two, so I guess day one went okay.  I am excited to see what the year holds for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment