Today I received a piece of paper in Case's backpack from his teacher.
The letter was titled: Student of the Month Selection Form
Nominator: Julie Gellerman
I would like to nominate Case Gray for Student of the Month. Case is an absolute delight. He has a genuine love of learning and because of this, he inspires his peers to try harder and challenge themselves. He walks into school each day with a smile on his face and ready to learn. He demonstrates respect of self and others. He works hard in all areas and follows the rules not only in the classroom but in the hallways and on the playground. As a friend, Case is caring, compassionate and fun to be around. I am proud of Case and it is an honor to have him in class.
Isn't that the most wonderful note a parent can receive about their child?! I was speechless, delighted, beeming and deeply touched by her beautiful writing and supremely kind words.
Attached to the wonderful nomination form was another piece of paper clipped to the back reading: Congratulations, Your student has been selected by the teaching staff at Banning Lewis Ranch Academy as the Student of the Month!
He is being honored with a pancake breakfast along with the other nominees next week. Case will have his picture taken and displayed in the BLRA entry. And on the day of his award he is allowed to wear street clothes to class.
This is his award. He earned it and I am proud of him, but on a personal level it is so nice to be reassured your child is becoming a good person. Parenting is hands down the most confounding profession ever. Not a day goes by I don't wonder, 'Am I being a good parent? Am I spending enough time with him? Am I raising an entitled child? Do I do too much for him? Does he watch too much tv? Should I make him play outside more? Am I teaching him the life lessons he needs to manage his emotions, deal with disappointment, keep trying when faced with hardships, think of others, never give up, speak kindly, stand up for himself, be a good friend and stay safe?' At the end of the night, the day is reviewed and I wonder, 'Did I exemplify patience? Does he know he is loved, important and special? Did I encourage him? Acknowledge his strengths yet challenge him to learn and make better choices?' Sometimes I wonder if I am doing anything at all and it feels like he is teaching and raising himself. It is exhausting.
I know, at the end of the day, Case makes his own choices and he is his own person. My job is not to control him but teach and motivate him to make good choices in the absence of my presence. This nomination and recognition is validation from an outside source that he is in fact a beautiful person. My only hope/prayer is that I will be able to foster the God given strengths he already has into adulthood. Who knew student of the month could mean so much? I'm such a mushy mommy.
P.S. When we went to the store this afternoon to celebrate his accomplishment he said, 'I get a toy?! Can I get one for Cole as well?' He is such a sweet and thoughtful person.
Oh, that is SO great! what a sweet moment! Way to go!
ReplyDelete