Monday, September 10, 2012

Manitou Cliff Dwellings

I am still getting caught up on our summer activities since the blog has been down for a couple weeks. 

Last month one of our summer family adventures was a morning trip to Manitou Cliff Dwellings.  The Cliff dwellings were first opened to the public in 1907 but they were built by the Anasazi Indians more than 700 years ago. The Anasazi created massive, free-standing stone buildings up to five stories tall.  Several of the ones on display at the Manitou Cliff were 2-3 stories high.  An added bonus is that there are no "Do Not Touch" signs! You are free to touch and even go inside these fascinating architectural remnants of an American Indian culture that roamed the Four Corners area of the Southwest from 1200 B.C. to A.D. 1300.  Here is the entrance to the Anasazi neighborhood.





 

 
Before exploring the ruins, the boys ran around inside a giant display tepee outside the ruins. 
 
 
 
 
 


 
Ancient ruins.  Who cares!  There are little rocks all over the floor to play with! 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
Cole was a little blood smeared after he busted his lip “exploring.” 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sweet Case kept checking up on his brother. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
During our explorations we discoved that Ansanzi doors were a bit on the petite side. 
 
 
 
 
 


 
Maybe petite wasn’t the right word. Some of the doors were down right tiny! 













Both of the boys practiced turning corn into cornmeal for cooking.  I think they prefer drive through convenience.
 


 

I love summer fun! 

1 comment:

  1. Since this blog is new, I am still trying to work out the kinks like getting the fonts to all stay the same, even spacing and keeping the text where I want the text. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete